Free summer activities for kids - Let's Go by bicycle
Do you want to get your kids off little screens this summer?
Let's face it, keeping children occupied and off screens in the summer holidays can be a struggle.
If you are like me (of a certain age) you will have fond memories of a summer filled with being out until dusk with your friends; running around the local neighbourhood on foot and by bike until you were called inside.
Things have changed however. According to the National Trust we as a nation, and in particular our children, are exhibiting signs of ‘Nature Deficit Disorder’ as a result of spending too much time indoors and not enough time outside. They feel that parents today feel under pressure to give their children a ‘zero-risk world’ and that this is affecting their development.
Where can we cycle with children this summer?
We all know that, like walking, cycling instead of taking the car is a great way to spend time outdoors in nature while being active and healthy. Children love to cycle. And there's no better time than the summer to get out and about by bicycle together.
When we speak to parents however, we hear that they sometimes don’t feel that confident about cycling with children and want to know where they can cycle that is quieter.
In response to this we’ve pulled together some information on:
- Where to cycle in Tees Valley with children this summer
- as well as details of our FREE guided family rides this July and August
to help you get out and about together on two wheels.
Using cycling as a way to travel for family fun
Going by bike is more than taking the bikes on the back of the car to a beauty spot and cycling around before driving them home.
Whether you are planning to go to the local shop, park or library cycling is a cheap, practical and fun way to get there.
Children may start off in a park, graduating to cycling around a quiet cul-de-sac or road near home. There are several types of cycle route that are suitable for children and families, listed here by Sustrans.
Find out more about cycling in your area as well as where to get hold of cycle maps that show you where the off-road paths and quiet roads are:
- Where to cycle in Darlington
- Where to cycle Hartlepool
- Where to cycle Middlesbrough
- Where to cycle Redcar & Cleveland
- Where to cycle Stockton-on-Tees
But what about travelling further afield to cycle? Can we take our bikes by train?
Yes you can!
- First you need a cycle reservation – pop into your local ticket office, they will sort this out for you
- Head to the platform at least 5 minutes before your train is due to depart
- Ask staff for the best place on the platform to load your bike
- Don’t forget to book a return journey for your bike!
You don’t need to go it alone – Let’s Go cycling together!
Cycling together is a great way to create memories and make new friends. We are running a range of FREE guided bike rides to suit all ages and abilities in July and August and we would love you to join us!
Please note that booking is essential and spaces are limited, children must be accompanied by an adult. We have partnered with Wheel Education who are very experienced at running children’s rides. You can secure your places via their website.
- Wednesday 25 July – Wynyard Woodland Park Teddy Bear’s Picnic
- Friday 27 July – Coast to Coast, Redcar
- Friday 3 August – Tees Bridges, Middlesbrough
- Wednesday 8 August – Dinosaur Picnic, Stockton-on-Tees
- Tuesday 14 August – New Marske Circular (suitable for older children and teens only)
- Wednesday 15 August - Guided family ride at preston Park, Stockton (this ride is run by the Hub in Stockton, not Wheel Education)
- Tuesday 21 August - Albert to Stewart Park ride, Middlesbrough
- Tuesday 28 August - Hurworth Burn off-road ride, Stockton-on-Tees
- Wednesday 29 August - Coast to Coast ride, Redcar
- Friday 31 August - Lake to Lake ride, Middlesbrough
By Nicky at 10 Jul 2018, 15:11 PM
Bishop Line (1)
Local Motion (1)
mountain biking (1)
weight loss (1)
Cycle September (1)
South Park (1)
Walk to School (1)
Northern Rail (1)
Bike lights (1)
Shining Example (1)
road safety (1)
River Tees (1)
#cyclesafely #teesvalleyschoolrun (1)
commuter challenge (1)
well being (1)
No stabilisers (1)
Latest CommentsBy Nicky at 21 Aug 2019, 13:35 PM on How to get back on your bike, whatever life throws at you
Redcar & Cleveland