Wednesday, April 24, 2019
Why should your business take part in the Let’s Go Tees Valley Commuter Challenge? You can help improve your employees’ physical and mental health and wellbeing. Encourage staff to sign up today. https://www.letsgoteesvalley.co.uk/lets-go-tees-valley-commuter-challenge/ #TeesValley #HappyCommute View Post
Got a burning question about the Let's Go Tees Valley Commuter Challenge?
- Who can take part?
- Why should businesses take part?
- How do I encourage people in my organisation to take part?
- Why should I take part, if my workplace has signed up?
- What can I win?
- How do I sign up?
- Are you running the Challenge again?
- How do I contact you?
Any organisation, large or small, can take part. There is no limit to the number of people taking part from any organisation - the more the merrier!
The Let's Go Commuter Challenge is designed to make it easy for businesses to improve levels of congestion around their workplaces, help staff make healthier choices about the way they travel and improve their overall, happiness, health and wellbeing.
Active towns and cities, where people walk, cycle and use public transport more, have been identified as having healthier economies. According to Sustrans, the national walking and cycling charity, employee health promotion programmes can:
- Improve parking and congestion issues around your workplace
- Improve air quality
- Improve your employees physical and mental health and wellbeing
- Reduce absenteeism and presenteeism
- Reduce noise pollution
- Improve safety on the roads at peak times
The majority of car journeys in the UK, which is reported to have the most congested roads in Europe, are under five miles, one in five of these is less than a mile and almost half are under two miles - distances that could be walked or cycled for many of us.
Improving employee wellbeing and incorporating greener business practices all contribute to organisations' corporate social responsibilities.
We've thought of that. You can visit our resources page, where you can download posters and social media images to help tell others what you're doing. We have also included suggested email or newsletter text so you don't even have to work out what to say. Easy.
Prizes galore! We've teamed up with great businesses around the Tees Valley to make sure we've got plenty of prizes to keep you motivated during the week. At the end of the challenge, for every day that you have swapped your normal journey for a car-free trip to or from work, your name will be entered into a prize draw to win a luxurious overnight stay at Wynyard Hall. Now surely that's worth leaving the car at home for?
Plus, active travel is a great way to increase your level of daily activity without going to the gym! Walking for 20 minutes burns (approx 1 mile) burns around 100 calories and cycling for around half an hour (approx 6 miles) will burn roughly 350 calories.
Your car-free journey will help your environment too, with improved air quality, reduced noise pollution and less congestion.
Taking part is completely free and you could even save money by walking, cycling or car-sharing with a colleague.
We've got oodles of prizes up for grabs. They are:
- Overnight stay at Wynyard Hall for two people including spa, dinner and breakfast - main prize draw for all participants
- Three pairs of cinema tickets - open to people signed up before 30 April 2019
- Six Independent Teesside Cards - spot prizes for social media engagement during the week
- Rounton Coffee Kit - day 1 social media giveaway
- Go Pro Hero Action Camera - day 2 social media giveaway
- Fitbit Versa - day 3 social media giveaway
- A three-course dinner for two at Fork in the Road restaurant, Middlesbrough - day 4 social media giveaway
- Workplace Breakfast Box Delivery - day 5 social media giveaway
Simpy visit the sign up page and complete the short form. Will also need to download the journey log form to keep a record of your journeys throughout the week. At the end of the week you will receive an email with a link to where you can log your journeys online.
Yes! We will be running the Commuter Challenge again in September 2019.
If you have any queries, you can drop us a line at:
01325 40 50 40
So... what are you waiting for, sign up today!